Thursday, December 1, 2011

History of An Object Final

When we were first assigned this project I could not see what my final would look like. It sounded like one of the most difficult projects that we were to have completed this semester. But after I started working with the first test layouts, I started to feel more confident. It also didn't hurt that some of my past experience with InDesign, and book layout came back to me.

We were to choose a specific part of our history research of our assigned word from the beginning of the semester. My word was lawn and my chosen topic was the lawn mower. I decided to choose this aspect out of all of the research that was done because I wanted a bit of a creative challenge. I took a topic that I would normally associate as a dry topic; the history of the lawn mower. Through my research it became less dry, but I knew that it would be difficult to hold the audience's attention with the subject matter. So I went for a crisp and clean grid layout with creatively cut out images and illustrations. 

My main stylistic ideas that I used throughout this booklet was: analogous color scheme, same typeface, and crisply placed together grid system. The color scheme is green, yellow green, and yellow. These are colors that I closely associate with the lawn and lawn mowers. I was going for a crisp and professional without looking too corporate for my booklet visual style. I chose Trade Gothic LT Std for the typeface for my book to keep visual consistency. The typeface is elegant, but has its own personality.

I am overall pretty happy with how this booklet turned out. Once I got all of the text and images correctly following the grid lines; my confident shot up a few. Not only does the piece visually flow together on the line, but I know that it is perfectly lined up. During this project I remembered and relearned more about grid structure and efficiently using it. Due to this project I also look more closely at the specifics of keeping a consistent theme; it sounds easier than it is. When comparing different options for the text, remembering to change all of the similar pieces to be the same was difficult but definitely paid off. I also learned more about time management and taking breaks. I realized the importance of taking breaks while working on a project, not trying to finish it in a long sitting.

front cover.
introduction spread.
close up of introduction spread.
timeline spread1.
timeline spread2.
close up overview of booklet spreads.
back cover.





Final digital version of my booklet.

No comments:

Post a Comment