Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Final Ziggy Stardust Magazine + Layouts

magazine cover.

intro spread.

spread 2.

spread3.

close-up of second spread, larger pull quote.

close-up of intro spread page with text.

side view of the magazine together.


This project started positively through text exercises, but negatively in layout. I struggled with designing a layout that referenced Ziggy in it. Later my issues still revolved around visual layout representation of Ziggy through the use of pull quotes. I tend to have a difficulty in giving a personality to the composition. I ended up with a much better composition than I first sketched, but I know that it can still use more work. I attempted to create a fluid movement from each spread to the next through incorporation of red and the lightning bolt shape.

I used Neutra for the whole magazine layout. I think consistency through the whole piece bring all elements together and strengthens the concept. Slowly, I am getting better at creating compositions that not only following the grid, concept, but also have small moments that defy what was established, but still beautifully enhances the overall style. In this piece I attempted to do that with the larger pull quote on spread two and three, changing the smaller pull quote size and style, to bring emphasis to the quote, but also reinforce the styles established.

This piece ended up much better than I had expected it to, including a successful incorporation of some elements from Visual Communication 2 into this project. I had initially thought that it was going to be extremely difficult to use the elements created in Visual Communication 2, because my attempt was to break down what made Ziggy’s visual appearance so striking, taking it into a different direction. My article dealt with the creation of Ziggy, thus pulling off of the specifics that I was attempting to redesign. 

No comments:

Post a Comment