Wednesday, October 31, 2012

koenig layouts. 15+ spreads. final.

cover + end flaps.


book without cropped out side  columns.

The objective of my design revolved around the idea of a coffee table book mixed with a history book. My book structure was based around the style of books during the renaissance; they had set structure with specific areas to never cross with image and text. Balance was very important in those books, and also with Koenig’s work. My thoughts were to create a book whose structure and physical design referenced Koenig’s architecture. Just like Koenig’s houses were meant to last and for one to enjoy the view and not necessarily the house; I wanted to replicate that with my book. I wanted the viewer to have easy access to the information via a fairly standard layout of information and images. My hope for this was to make the text almost invisible, for the viewer to be so engaged with the images and story itself that the typefaces used did not emote anything but older, well-loved information. With the idea of a renaissance stylebook, I only used color if already in the images that were found, I did not use color in the text, only black or white. 

Sans serifs were created to help children read easier, so I figured a good place to use a sans serif then would be in the footnotes and captions, where it is just in small bits of information. The main body text and section titles are in ITC New Baskerville, to not only reference the old renaissance books, but also older books in general with their large use of serifs.

No comments:

Post a Comment