Tuesday, February 11, 2014

reaction to "The Brand Called You" + "My Last Portfolio Sucked"

"The Brand Called You"
by Tom Peters

What is in a name?

You are defining yourself through every action, thought, breath, post and breath that you have or will take. You are constantly defining + redefining yourself. Yes, first impressions matter, but what matters more are the continued fronts that you put up on everything, everywhere. Not only your logo is your brand, but also so is your life.

We are a constant representation of our brand. This is an intense statement to think about, but it makes sense. All of the connections that we make + hold, all the places we leave some form of an impact, our first appearance to everyone we meet is a new representation of us; our company/brand is always being critiqued. This fascinates me, as my various connections only know parts of me, not the whole person. I know this is how many individuals are, but it’s just interesting to think that two people, who know different aspects about me, are equally benefiting me now and in the future.

some of my favorite statements:
“To be in business today, our most important job is to be head marketer for the brand called You.”
“Everyone has a chance to learn, improve, and build up their skills. Everyone has a chance to be a brand worthy of remark.”
“Burn that damnable "ladder" and ask yourself: What have I accomplished that I can unabashedly brag about?”
“When you've done that, sit down and ask yourself one more question to define your brand: What do I want to be famous for?”
--


The tips that I noted: make navigation easy, have email + contact information up front, give gist of the project with the thumbnail, not a close-up shot and don't have music on your portfolio. I feel like a few of those were given thoughts, but apparently not by all. I do hold all of those tips as a normal set of guidelines when designing, so that makes me feel a bit better about the potential to one day have a design job and not be overlooked due to my website or portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment