"How Awkward People Can Start Non-Awkward Conversations"
by Drake Baer
This article spoke to something that I've been trying to work on since I was in high school. Opening up, interacting and connecting are aspects of my personality that I've been attempting to build up through forcing myself into situations where I need, am asked or encouraged to talk. Due to that, my own need to work hard and excel at what I do while meeting expectations of those above me, I have held various leadership positions. I have held leadership positions at school level: Yearbook Editor-in-Chief, Literary Magazine Editor, main lead intern at CLC's Program Board, Phi Theta Kappa Illinois Northeastern Vice President, local chapter Alpha Alpha Pi President, AIGA KCAI Chapter President, Mentor Team Organizer + Leader, as well as multiple internship positions. I currently attend TEDxCROSSROADS meetings, where we watch a TEDtalk and then discuss. I am constantly trying to push myself out of my own comfort zone and talking, versus giving into my normal quiet + shy behavior.
I have already come a large way since my youth; I can tell you about favorite band members, singers and authors that I've met and been unable to talk to. I used to be so nervous and shy that my face would flush red and I would just be silent. I grew up thinking my opinions didn't matter and that I couldn't do anything. But I have continued to grow, working on my leadership and communication skills. Through my leadership roles I have also become a better and more confident speaker. I have since youth presented to groups from as small 6 to as large as presented to hundreds.
The main thing that I have since learned is the ability to stay humble, affect others and build connections along the way. I don't regret any of it, but I wish I never had to push this hard to connect with others. I think that I have lost out on other connections that I could have obtained along the route. But here is to hoping that this push will continue to place me at where I need to be and help others who also struggle with the inability to talk, communicate or connect along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment