Tuesday, November 15, 2011

History of An Object Initial Layout 1 + 2

Based off of three and five column grid layouts we were to create three iterations for class of the opening spread and first timeline spread of our books.  Back when we were assigned the leading exercises I knew how I wanted my opening introduction to be displayed in the book.  I wanted it to be one page with all my introduction text without multiple columns.  I did still experimented with using columns for this layout, but was unhappy with the outcome.

This was the first layout that I created, what I wanted to do was have a full bleed image that caught the attention of the viewer.  Then I pulled one of the darker green to use for the subtitle above the introduction paragraphs.  I gave the image an opacity so that it did not pull all of the attention from the page, merely my intent was to guide the eyes to the text.

This layout was based off of the previous one, except I got rid of the major image and instead combined the image of grass with the title.  I wanted to pull in my word/object "lawn" into the beginning spread.

For this layout I wanted a crisp and clean looking close up of grass that was the main focus.  I wanted to experiment with columns, even though I was not initially picturing them in the final.

For this layout my focus was on text.  I wanted to see how I could make a layout visually appealing without the incorporation of image.  I also wanted to incorporate symmetry in this layout.  I did so by using the same number of columns on each page in the spread.


I really struggled with the timeline layouts.  I did not want to do a traditional timeline, but did not want to create a design that was too out there either.  One of the biggest challenges that I had was the incorporation of my assets in the grids, as none of my assets are squares; they're all organic shapes.
My thought on this was to have the viewer look up down, left page, then right.

I chose a higher placement for the timeline line.  The line was green to pull attention from the timeline to the assets.  I added smaller lines off of the timeline to the captions.

My thought was similar to the previous layout of using the green as well as the timeline line.  I changed the placement of the timeline to be more centralized, pushing the text up to the top of the page and dropping the assets to near the bottom of the spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment