Wednesday, September 12, 2012

anat cohen. people on the street thoughts.

For this part, I knew I needed some very honest feedback, so I looked back at the group of people that I know who I needed to hear from. I know there is a wide variety of potential audience members. So, that's what I went for.
poster 1.



poster 2.

the questions.
method was via email.

"Hi There Fans!
I need some feedback for my class project in Human Centered Design...and luckily I know a few humans. ;)

These posters are not finished nor complete ideas yet, just the top two of my digital iterations.

For each one, could you please:
1. tell me your initial reaction to it
2. tell me what words/emotions/memories you associate with it
3. if you saw this out of the corner of your eye, would you stop or continue moving + why either way.
4. what is working well or what is not working well?
5. any additional things that you would like to tell me about the piece ie Did you like it? Were you just confused? Do you feel like I wasted your time?

Thanks, you're awesome."



the people.
the rap/hiphop lover + dj for a job, 22.
poster1.
1. Some kind of science speaker. What kind of science I couldn't tell, not much info.
2. Reminds me of high school.
3. No.
4. Cutting off the a in the science one makes my brain think it's a word puzzle and thatI need to figure out what the word actually is.
5. You didn't waste my time 'cause I'm charging you for this. lol but I want to know what it is? That's all. 
poster2.
1. Some kind of musician that plays as if she is her own band. She might play all those instruments at once.
2. Thursdays in Lancers at CLC.
3. Yes because I love music and because I would want to see how other people do Thursdays in Lancers. 
4. What is well is how you put all those instruments together it's the eye catcher like holy cow what instrument is that.
5. That's all.

the 80s/punk/metal lover + player of instruments, 24.
poster1.
1. First thought that came to my mind just by looking at it was a science poster but then I read that it said Anat Cohen Quartet. 
2. Dark,mysterious,Gothic( the purple background seems like it could be used for a Cure album)
3. I would continue to look/read it. With the text and color used in the poster I would probably would be interested on what the poster is promoting.
4. What is working well is the choice and how the text is position. What might not work is the poster seems to basic, can't say what in particular but something could be added( another graphic?)
5. This one I was a little thrown off. Just by glancing at it I thought of one thing but turns out it was for something totally different. 
poster2.
1. Plain and simple: Poster for a music concert
2. Music, instruments, band, classical music, trombone(I know there is no trombone in the poster but it made me think of when I used to play).
3. I would be intrigued by this poster just by the presences of the instruments.
4. How the instruments are put together is a cleaver idea and works well. You could add, but it's not necessary, another set of instruments together?  
5. I thought the poster was self-explanatory and simple. The concept of combining the instruments was interesting.


the older woman + eclectic music lover, 61.
poster1.
1. Liked the color and bubbles but wasn't sure what it was about - without the word quartet to indicate music.
2. Purple - thought regal, classy, sophisticated, laid back, peaceful - reminded me  of the old Lawrence Welk show  with his champagne orchestra on tv 50's & 60'S  played big band music, everybody wore suits - champagne music, there are lots of bubbles in champagne, just close your eyes and listen.
3. I'd stop cause I'd want to know what it was for. Deeper colors always grab my attention more then pastels.
4. Liked the color and the white lettering, easy to read. But as I said earlier I needed the word quartet to figure it out. 
5. Liked it but I needed the word  'quartet' to get a feel for what it's about. 
poster2.

1. Intrigued by the combination of instruments. Wondered if it was real. took a bit to find the 4th instrument, but I finally did.
2.  Jazzy, upbeat, casual, energetic, music you would more actively respond to, though not dance. Reminded me of the entertainer who would have assorted instruments on his body and a harmonica wrapped around his head and be a one man band,  but the instruments weren't that big. But were interesting to watch and hear.
3. I'd stop to look to see if it really was a combination pic of instruments and how they fit together. 
4. Combo instrument draws you in to see what it is.  The placement of the words threw me off though. Wasn't sure if that was part of the image or no place else to put them.
5. Liked it, understood it was music by the visual alone.  

the blunt know-it-all + educated man, 27.
poster1.
1. That's a boring font; what the heck is "Anat" short for?
2. Are those bubbles or brass knuckles? Oh, bubbles. Kinda looks like "knucks" out of the corner of my eye.
3. I stopped because I thought "purple brass knuckles--is this a gay thing?"
4. The purple is eye-catching. I don't understand "Anat" or the bubbles.
5. On second glance, there is a weird line between the bubbles (on the right) and the text in the center--it's unattractive.
poster2.
1. Anat looks smashed against the keyboard; the drum doesn't fit convincingly with the upright bass.
2. Oh, a music performance. Those are classical instruments--must be classical music.
3. I'd stopped in confusion. Why the heck is that drum and bass smooshed together? This better be good ...
4. The keyboard doesn't fit between the instruments and the same problem with the font. The keyboard is not instantly recognizable.
5. I was confused with this one. I didn't see the wind instrument (oboe?) until the 4th time. The keyboard looks like a cartoon. I don't know why they need to be combined in the first place. The white space feels more like an afterthought and not as something deliberately worked into the piece.

the librarian + mother of 4 children, 36.
poster1.
I found the first one eye-catching.  I like the colors.  I'm curious to know what text will go on the bottom, because I feel it needs more text and information.  I think the theme probably doesn't tell you much about the band (I'm guessing it's a band) so I want to know more.
poster2.
It didn't really catch my eye at first, but it was intriguing after I looked at it for a moment.  I do like the fusion of instruments and I kind of picked it apart and appreciated the assembly.  But that might work better on a flyer or brochure, something that a person would take with them and look at a little closer.  Not so good as a poster that needs to grab you instantly.

the speech pathologist student, 21.
poster1.
1. Piqued my interest because the bubbles were cool to look at, and they were purple which is out of the ordinary.
2. Purple, fun, interesting, the "what is that?" vibe.
3. I would stop and read because the main part of the poster doesn't have much writing so I knew I could get the direct info. quickly which is what people want. Then, for more info, they could read on at the bottom
4. I seriously like the fact that the words are ever so slightly cut off by the edge of the poster of the art itself. The "empty" space you left (with no text) works to your advantage.
5. It's great in its own way.
poster2.
1. Tells give me an immediate response as to what the poster will be advertising for.
2. music, crazy good artist, the "makes sense" vibe.
3. I would stop and read because the main part of the poster doesn't have much writing so I knew I could get the direct info. quickly which is what people want. Then, for more info, they could read on at the bottom.
4. I like the incorporation of many instruments in one image (crazy awesome graphic design stuff I couldn't even dream of doing ;p). This poster gives me a better idea of what I am about to read before I even start reading. Because the background is white though, I felt like there was a lot of open space. I like the varying text size and maybe I get the sense of a lot of open space because of the white (but white works well with poster so nevermind me.)
5. More direct and effective in relation to what you're trying to advertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment