The first part of the assignment was to create three different variations of one of our steps. The aim was for it to be three different approaches to how one could portray the step. I chose Step 2: Dig 10 feet deep.
I sketched out a design in pen on white paper. I scanned it in and inverted the colors and pumped up the contrast. I wanted to show a darker feeling to go with one of the styles, because when one often thinks of burying the dead, s/he thinks of something dark, or horror movie like.
feedback: It is difficult to figure out where the sky starts and the ground ends. Very dark. Missing key elements to help tell the story. It is just abstract enough to create interest, but needs more details to explain.
My second approach was more of a visual of the "real world" mixed with the hand drawn scan. I was also going for more of a children's picture book feel. Basically I wanted to add some humor and style into a darker topic.
feedback: The style of the lines and texture was too distracting and child like.
This was my third approach. It was the more Photoshop based attempt. I wanted to add in some harsh contrasts with photographs and graphics. I wanted to keep with the ground being shades of brown and the sky to be a bright blue.
feedback: Texture is overwhelming int he ground; all of the colors are distracting. Get rid of the Photoshop looking edits to the shovel image. Typeface for "10" does not work. The grass was a nice image divide on the piece.
*All Iterations are based off of the last design mentioned above.*
Iteration 1 - had small variations from the last layout. The typeface for "10" has changed and the image effects on the shovel have been removed. The grass has been taken out. The sky image has changed.
feedback: There was not enough change between this one and the previous option. Colors and texture in ground are too distracting. Dotted line needs to have a same consistency and be solid red.
Iteration 2 - the main difference between this and Iteration 1 is the shovel on this one being white, the "10" being on a tilt, and the background on the shovel image.
feedback: The box around the image of the shovel is distracting. Do not italicize typeface. Get rid of the "dirt marks" on the shovel; it's distracting. Get rid of the textures on the ground.
Iteration 3 - the main difference is the use of color and black + white. I tried to use the color to make the viewer focus on the important parts of the piece. I thought it definitely gave a horror movie feel with a small mix of a cartoon.
This is the final image for Step 2. The shovel is labeled and in the center of the piece. I moved the "10" over to the right side of the dotted line. I put a new image for the background dirt and zoomed back in on the cracks. I was going for a zoomed in cracked ground view, but a straight on sky view if one were you look up while outside. I was going for a simple, yet interesting layout and use of objects. I wanted to bring emphasis without bringing distraction which you can see in the early attempts at this step.







No comments:
Post a Comment