Friday, March 9, 2012

pop identified (aka: cultural icons)

For project three, we were to choose an object, person, place, or something that was part of American Pop Culture prior to 1985. Most of my thoughts revolved around music, specifically industrial, metal, and experimental music that I listen to that are from the 1980s or earlier. After narrowing down I was looking between a synth machine and a singer or band. My final decision was David Bowie.

Although Bowie is from the UK, he became a major idol in the US. He has been in the music business since the 1960s. One of the first things that I remember learning about David Bowie was that he freaked my older sister out. Shortly after that, I learned as much as I could about him. One specific thing about Bowie was the various sides to his ego. I was and often am interested in how much one can not care about the way that the world sees him. Bowie's eyes being two different sets of color was another reason why Bowie became one of my favorite, his wide variation of fashion styles. Then add in the fact that he is still currently making good music that is not only mostly accepted by main stream America but is still good music. So, I can't wait to dive more into the world of Bowie and the world of cultural icons.

This song, "Changes" one of my favorite Bowie songs was released along with many other famous songs before 1985.

4 comments:

  1. hey, why'd you post a picture of me on this blog post?

    LOLOLOLOLOL. don't even try and tell me that i don't look like him with very slight differences.

    which...is not really a good thing, but i'm honored, cause it's bowie.

    yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Bowie is amazing and I am glad that you agree in my decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the correction. There was a lack of communication between the brain and the fingers.

    ReplyDelete