Friday, March 9, 2012

Reading Response: Meggs, MacLennan, Felton, Aristotle


Rhetoric – the use of image and/or text. It is often test that you make a solid connection with.
Metaphor - compassion of 2 dis-similar objects.

I find it interesting that Rhetoric can be applied to multiple disciplines, but I guess if I really think about that, it makes sense. I already knew about rhetoric in relation to English and writing, but I had yet to hear about graphic design rhetoric. When English was still my major, I never thought that what I was learning was being learned by anyone other than other English majors, had I have known at that point that I was also starting to build my graphic design terminology, I would have thought you were crazy.

Rhetoric itself is an intimidating word; I mean the word starts out with an “rh” which can be difficult for some people to pronounce. As well as other definitions that you need to know besides rhetoric. You need to learn all about tropes and the modes of appeal to get a better grasp on the topic. It’s a bit interesting to learn that the oldest known talk about rhetoric dates back to Aristotle, whom I mainly associate with philosophy, especially the kind that goes over my head.

I didn’t really think that puns were as popular to use as they were; they’re all around us. It’s always confusing and fascinating how when we learn something new we may not realize for a while what we actually saw and learned. It’s as if the pieces slowly came together, but just hovered to connect when I turn my head for a second.

I did not know what fused metaphors were and that they were more popular than regular metaphors. Fused metaphors require you to take a word, then take something associated with it and fuse it with something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment