This weekend I went back home to Chicago. My brother and I ventured out to the Art Institute to see Into the Windows. It was an exhibit of Soviet Propaganda from 1941-1945. I was super excited to find out as I was there that one of my favorite pieces from El Lissitzky was on display “Beat the Whites With the Red Wedge.” I also recently wrote about it for an assignment assessing the principles used for Visual Communication class. So it was a weird treasure for me to find at the Museum and made me think that maybe I was in the best field right now. I also saw a few hundred Soviet propaganda posters in different styles. What really stood out to me was the selective use of color or the bold choice of color. Even though many of the posters had a vast difference in artistic style, the layout and colors were very similar if not the exact same. I really enjoy the use of black, white, and red or yellow in compositions, especially when combined with text. The text always stood out in the posters, but they stood out just enough to add to the composition but not take away from it. The text and typeface was a nice bold contrast to the use of color.
Map of the area that the posters were from. My brother pointed out the different towns that my older family members are named after.
This is a bad photo of one of my favorite pieces “Beat the Whites With the Red Wedge” by El Lissitzky.
Gustav Klutsis. *I forgot to write down the title of this piece but will post it up soon*
Dmitrii Moor "United but Two Faced." What I liked about this piece was first, it was paired on the wall nicely with Lissitzky's work. Also I thought it was a good composition with text and image.
Pavel Sokolov-Skalia - TASS 757.
Pavel Sokolov-Skalia - TASS 757.
Pavel Sokolov-Skalia - TASS 757.
Pavel Sokolov-Skalia - TASS 757. This is what one of the final products of the stenciling propaganda posters.
Vassilii Vlasov - "Death to Facism." What really caught my attention abut this piece was the selective use of color and the layout.
This is the front cover of the book that the Art Institute published to commemorate the collection.
This is the spin and front cover of the book.





No comments:
Post a Comment